Friday 27 April 2012

FASHION IN FILM 1 - SUCKER PUNCH

Probably one of the most overlooked things is film is the costuming - no one really comes out of a movie and says "You know what, I don't think much of the story but Dumbledore was rocking that smock". For me the fashion and styling within a movie can really add something a little extra, that allows me to invest more in the characters. For example an elf from The Lord of the Rings is not gonna be that convincing prancing around in jeans and a t-shirt.

So what I thought I would do a serious of blogs documenting my favourite use of fashion within film, because I do think it's worth a mention. The first film I have chosen in 'Sucker Punch' the 2011 movie that follows the story of a gorgeous young girl who, after being institutionalized by her abusive stepfather, copes by retreating into an alternate reality as a coping strategy - during which, she conjures up a daring escape plan.

 The girls were well prepared for the 70% off sale
Costume designer, Michael Wilkinson, who has previously created costumes for hit movies Tron Legacy, Watchmen and Terminator Salvation, has excelled himself with Sucker Punch - creating strong vampish combat looks for the warrior women during the epic fight scenes, and sexy, yet innocent and vulnerable costumes for the dancing girls, having to do too much too young. Not only do the costumes look amazing, but they really helped to define the different stories that ran through the film, creating a wonderful dreamy atmosphere.

Emily Browning as Babydoll and Vanessa Hudgens as Blondie

Abbie Cornish as Sweet Pea and Jamie Chung as Amber
Jena Malone as Rocket and Carla Gugino as Madam Gorski

I love the tough combat costumes, especially the Peter Pan/Dominatrix look of Rocket and the Bad Ass Manga look that Babydoll is working. Who would have though tons of black leather, fish netting, fringing and thigh high's would work well on anyone but street walkers?

Anyway, onto the little girl losts of the dancing girls - this is where Make Up Designer Rosalina Da Silva, who has also knocked my socks off with the looks she created in Tron Legacy an Underworld, really shone -  the faces were mostly fresh an dewy until it came to the eyes that featured lots of smudged eyeliner, as if the girls had recently been crying. It added to the air of desperation the girls clearly felt.






So what do you guys think of the fashion/costumes in Sucker Punch?
Are there any movies that you think are worthy of a Fashion in Film Feature? The best suggestions I will feature and of course provide credit where it is due.

In case you haven't seen this wonderfully weird movie, I leave you guys with the official trailer...Enjoy!


13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Don't they all look amazing - if only you could walk around that during the day, because I would if I could :)

      Gems x

      Delete
  2. i actually loved this movie - was very different xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah me too, it was so not what I was expecting.

      Gems x

      Delete
  3. I've never seen this movie but after this post I really want to! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so worth a watch, not just for the amazing costumes, but because it is just so wonderfully weird and original.
      When you do see it, let me know what you think.

      Gems x

      Delete
  4. BY the way I meant to say before I love that photo of you above your about me...brilliant x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much lovely. I'm trying out me Elvis haha!

      Gems x

      Delete
  5. Sucker Punch is one of my fave movies, I stare at it in awe the whole way through - LOVE!

    J x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it amazing - it's one of my new favourite movies - so sexy, gritty and just out there.

      Gems x

      Delete
  6. Though I didn't care much for the story, I still loved this movie. It was visually so stunning and the music added to the very eerie and magical vibe. I also loved the posters for this film. The clothing is beautiful too!

    blueeyednightowl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it so impressive on the eye - I could watch it over and over again.

      I'm loving my sponsor spot on your blog by the way :)

      Gems x

      Delete
  7. omg do they really had to dress them like that, especially the ones with no pants, are u serious.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to comment, and I will always be sure to check out fellow bloggers.