Saturday 19 May 2012

PERSONAL STYLE - A 5 YEAR RETROSPECTVE

Personal style posts are a big part of the fashion bloggers repertoire - it give the chance to inspire or be inspired by other budding fashionista's. But, you do tend to see only the bloggers most recent look, which has probably been inspired by current trends, so its rare that you see a fashion disaster.

But it is important to remember that we have all had them - none of us in this world are perfect and if it takes a few catastrophes for you to find your own personal style then so be it. I have certainly had my fair share of fashion fumbles - I went through a period of sporting hair bunches (in my 20's) that made me look like a Cocker Spaniel (in the words of a friend); I once wore a bright pink nightie with a picture of a cat as a t-shirt; and lets not mention the thick black eyeliner, it looked like I was a drag queen who had got into a fight...Ah Gemma, what were you thinking.

Well anyway, I have been scrolling the depths of Facebook today, looking back on the changes to my personal style and thought why not share the retrospective in personal style with my blogger friends...I even remember where most of the stuff was from...how sad!

2007

Super smiley in 2007
Left: Bershka, Leather jacket, H&M necklace, Hair courtesey of being dragged through a bush.
Right:
Ralph Lauren glasses, H&M earrings and metallic scarf worn as shrug
The bunch phase begins and the dreaded duck-mouth pout
Left: Bershka printed tee, Topshop jeans.
Right: Truffle Shuffle Back to the Future tee, Topshop necklace

2008

All wrapped up in winter with some standard leopard print
Ralph Lauren glasses, H&M earring and leopard print scarf
, Triple S leather jacket
Red hair phase, and more of those awful bunches.
Hat from ASOS
Slight punk/rock chick phase complete with way too much eyeliner, and a shoot for a university prospectus
Top Left: H&M belt and t-shirt, Replay jeans
Bottom Far Left: Punky Pins gun earrings
Bottom Left: Amplified 'Frankie Says Relax' tee
Right: Besrka leather jacket, Primark tee, H&M belt, New Look jeans
Making friend with a wooden penguin and rudolph
Left: H&M leopard cardigan and bag, Truffle Shuffle 'Ghostbusters' tee, Fornarina jeans, TK Maxx trainers.
Right: Triple S leather jacket, Primark checked shirt
Frocking up!
Left: New Look dress, Primark belt, Punky Pins 'Gems' necklace.
Middle: George@ASDA dress, Vintage silver locket
Right: New Look dress and necklace

2010

Dainty Dresses
Left: Next scarf, Primark dress and headband, Triple S leather jacket.
Middle: Ravi London Dress, Primark necklace
Right: Discount store dress, Punky Pins 'Gems' necklace.
Here comes the sun.
Left:Topshop jacket, H&M tee, New Look jeans, Primark sunnies.
Middle: Discount store peacock print dress
Right: Firetrap maxi dress
A dramatic new haircut - I think I want my pixie crop back...should I?

2011

Look at that view - river doesnt look to bad either :)
Next scarf, Topshop jacket, Internationale cardigan, George @ ASDA dress.
Look sat that pasty skin - well not directly at it, that could be dangerous.
Left: Matalan Dress
Middle: H&M dress, Primark sunnies and bag.
Right: Miso @ Republic dress
 
Pretty as a picture!
Bershka leather jacket, Gifted fingerless gloves
Galavanting around london
Tesco cardigan, Matalan jumper dress, Primark sunnies

2012

Follow the link if you want to see more of my personal style from this year
See you don't have to always get it right, as long as your comfortable in who you are, what does it matter what anyone else thinks anyway.

I would love to see some personal style retrospectives form my fellow bloggers...have you had the fashion police knocking at your door?

Have a great weekend!

Gems

36 comments:

  1. My hair has been fairly boring for the past 5 years, just long with a few layers so I can feel fortunate that will look ok.

    I'm not keen on having my photo taken so not many fashion faux pas pics. Although there probably are a few outfits that have scarred peoples memories.

    I don't know what you're worried about anyway from those pics!

    C
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah my hair is at a boring length at the minute after my pixie crop grew out - so now I wear clip in extensions alot to give it body. I think maybe I should get the crop back - hair always grows back...right?

      Gems x

      Delete
  2. Wow, that's crazy!
    I like 2012 best though(:

    Mind checking out my blog?
    I'd love it if you would publicly follow me!

    -XO Abbigayle Rashae
    -trueblueabbi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I have definitely found my style this year!
      I would be delighted to visit your blog its always nice to visit new ones.

      Gems x

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the sweet comment dear!
      Mind publicly following me?
      It's the only way you can be entered for giveaways and things(:

      -XO Abbigayle Rashae
      -trueblueabbi.blogspot.com

      Delete
  3. Great post! I'd be horrified if I looked back at my lack of style up until last year - I blame bad friends and going through puberty late, haha x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Luckily there isn't much photographic evidence of my disasters - probably would have cracked some camera lenses.
      I still think the heavy black eyeliner and bunches (as an adult) were big mistakes.
      Gems x

      Delete
  4. What an awesome post, I could be inspired to copy you soon! By the way, I loved your bunches, they looked fierce!

    J x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be great if you did - you will have to send me the link when you so I can see the evolutions.

      Gems x

      Delete
  5. nice photos honey, i really love themmm! great evoluation, you are so beautiful!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, that is so kind of you to say!

      Gems x

      Delete
  6. This is the best idea for a postt and something which I would not have thought of. I totally want to do this post too (hopefully I will get around to it). My stye 5 years ago would probably be embarrassing but I definitely think it would be fun to look back on. My favourite outfit here is in the 2012 section; it is the colourful dress in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it really is fun to look back on pictures and see what you used to think was cool, but so wasn't.
      If you do take up the challenge, please send my the link :)

      Gems x

      Delete
  7. haha brilliant post thing is you have such a cute little face you can get away with many hairstyles. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you, the urge for the pixie crop is growing.

      Gems x

      Delete
  8. Great style!!

    Take care :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,

    great post and great idea!!
    I love it!!!

    http://estilohedonico.blogspot.pt/

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely love to see more bloggers do the five year retrospective.
      Thank you for the kind words.

      Gems x

      Delete
  10. Ah wow this is really interesting! I really want to do one now :) Btw how long did it take for you to grow out your pixie cut? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want some of my fellow bloggers to do it and to see the results so please send me a link if you do decide to do it.
      I had it cut about 18moths ago and now my hair is just past my shoulders, it is a bit of an awkward length so I sometimes pop in some clip in hair extensions to thicken it out, until I decide what to do with it!

      Gems x

      Delete
  11. Wow. Cool watching you evolve! Congrats on links a la mode!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun,
      I was so excited to be selected, it was such a surprise!
      Gems x

      Delete
  12. I find it really interesting to see someones personal style evolve! I went through a phase with a bad haircut similar to yours, so I know how you feel haha. Perhaps I should dig up some old pictures & do one of these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do Stacey - I really want to see some more bloggers fashion retrospectives, so if you do, please send me a link!

      Gems x

      Delete
  13. really nice before and after captions so much to try on your hairs ... it can change your look ...
    Kids Wear

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey! Are you still active here at all?

    https://www.patchestopins.com/collections/pins

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very well displayed. Thanks for the post. It was very interesting.
    Background Removal Service

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute Dresses looking much pretty :)
    786Shop (You can find here party wear dresses huge variety and different and unique style 2020 for more updates visit our site.)
    Party Wear

    ReplyDelete
  17. Buy silver gemstone rings, pendants, bracelets, earrings & necklace with unique designs. Online 925 sterling silver jewelry exporter of India, worldwide delivery

    ReplyDelete
  18. You had a really nice sense of fashion. Not many people can do this :). Btw if anyone is interested in best personality development books, you can check out our article

    ReplyDelete
  19. MENS BOMBER LEATHER JACKET FOR SALE loved your article. looking forward to see more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you penning this post plus the rest of the site is very good.dauntless leather jacket

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to comment, and I will always be sure to check out fellow bloggers.