Tuesday 26 June 2012

FASHION IN FILM 2 - BUNRAKU

I know it has been a while since my last Fashion in Film post, but I'm still determined to continue pushing the importance of fashion in film - I am by no means an expert of film or fashion, but for me they stylists and make-up artist are the biggest unsung heroes. Just think about it, if it wasn't for them it would just be a bunch of actors running around naked...it would make for a movie that would be quite hard to follow and could probably only be shown in certain theaters and on a select few TV channels.

Anyway, the next film on the list is Bunaku - In a world with no guns, a drifter (Josh Hartnett) a bartender (Woody Harrelson) and a young samurai (Gackt) plot revenge against a ruthless leader (Ron Pearlman) and his army of thugs, headed by nine diverse and deadly assassins. The film has a vibe of Sin City, House of Flying Daggers and a old western all rolled into one, which made for some stunning backdrops and amazing costumes - the men were dapper and the women oozing glamour, especially professional siren Demi Moore.

 
Costume designer, Donna Zakowska and Make-up designer, Lynda Armstrong, did an outstanding job of transforming the actors into their characters - I particularly loved the looks of the 'Killers' matching in their tailored red suits.







See the fab fashion of this movie in motion by checking out the trailer...


I quite liked the film, because it was wonderfully weird, just like me. Have any of you lovelies out there seen it, and if so what did you think?

What other films do you think excelled on the fashion/styling/wardrobe front?

By the way, thanks for all the kind comments on my Sugarlips post, with my first photographs taken outside, it has really helped with my confidence.

Gems x

8 comments:

  1. I've not seen this film. I quite fancied it but it got fairly bad reviews so I gave it a miss. I will watch it when its on tv though.

    I got excited because Mike Patton is in it but he only does the voice over :(

    My bracelet arrived, its lovely, thank you!

    Caroline
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why it got bad reviews, but I quite liked it as it appealed to my weird side.

      So glad you like the bracelet!

      Gems x

      Delete
  2. I have literally never heard of this film, is it recent? It looks very stylised

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Helen,
      It was 2010 I think - I only saw it by chance and fell in love with the costumes!

      Gems x

      Delete
  3. What a great post! Films ARE important in influencing fashion...like The Great Gatsby remake inspired the 20's looks on the catwalk. I've never heard of this film but it looks great, I love Sin City (and Josh Hartnett!) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes The Great Gatsby, what a great choice!
      I might have to feature that one :)

      Gems x

      Delete
  4. I saw this film not long ago, the whole feel was amazing from the cool sets to the outfits. Than the end just got so boring that we actual stopped watching it, it's got nothing on Sin city. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I agree, the ending wasn't the best, it was a little bit anti-climactic, but the sets and costumes kept me interested!

      Gems x

      Delete

I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to comment, and I will always be sure to check out fellow bloggers.